Dakin’s Solution is an antimicrobial for use in humans. The active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite and it is used to prevent & treat infection of the skin and tissue, pre and post surgical uses, and skin ulcers. It is for external use only.
We tested the solution on our own horses and also tested it on several other horses that had severe cases of thrush. The results were so good we now carry Dakin’s for sale @ $12 per bottle. If you want, you can purchase Dakin’s directly from the pharmaceutical company by going to www.dakins.net. The recommended strength for horses is the Dakin’s Half Strength with the red label (0.25%).
Dakin’s Solution must be kept at room temperature.
- Thoroughly clean horse’s hooves.
- Apply Dakins to the infected area of the hoof daily for one to two days.
- Using a 5cc or ml oral syringe, apply to hoof. Let the solution absorb in the hoof before setting the hoof down. Approximately one minute.
- Apply Dakins once daily until healed.
Soft Tissue Wounds & Bug Bites
- Apply a one (1) to seven (7) dilution (1 oz of 0.25% Dakins to 7 oz distilled water) once daily until healed. (Diluted Dakins is stable for one week.)
- Dakins Solution is chlorine based and will stain your clothing.
- Diluted is stable for one week.
- Undiluted is stable for 14 mos. when kept at room temperature.
(non-necrotizing Bactericide, Virucide, Fungicide, Sporicide)
We sell this product for $10 per bottle. If you’d like, you can order yourself through any pharmacy. You do not need a prescription.
Treatment of White Line Disease, Thrush, Fungal, & Yeast Infections
- During this procedure we will be using a plastic trash bag to seal in gasses. I suggest desensitizing your horse to the bag by rubbing the bag on his legs. You do not want your horse jumping around and spilling your solution while applying the trash bag. If horse is spooked by having bag rubbed on legs try folding it up then rub on legs then progressively unfold the bag and rub as your horse calms.
- If this treatment is being applied in summer thoroughly spray fly spray on your horse. Do not spray on legs being treated.
- Make sure round rubber reinforcement is in place in bottom of bag.
- Thoroughly clean hooves with pick and brush. If horse is shod, remove shoes as they can inhibit absorption.
- Put solution bag over leg and attach bag by running cord from one side of the bag, up and over the withers and back down to the other side of the bag. Do not rely on the tightening strap on the bag. It may not stay up if horse moves.
- Make sure horse is comfortable and not nervous about having the bag on the leg. Lifting & putting foot down while bag is on will help with this.
- Mix contents of vial with one gallon of water. Slowly, pour water in to bag. Let soak for 45 minutes.
- Take foot out of bag and switch bag to other foot & let soak for 45 minutes.
- Do not dry or rinse off legs after soaking since gases continue working & vapors continue to treat the hoof. Once second leg is booted, place first leg in plastic trash bag and seal with duct tape. Keep on for 45 minutes.
- After 2nd foot has finished soaking for 45 minutes, remove boot and repeat trash bag step on this foot for 45 minutes.
- Take the time to desensitize your horse to the plastic bag.
- Since this procedure takes over 2 hours to complete, it is helpful if done during feeding & allow horse to eat hay during treatment.
Dan’s Special Sauce For Treating Central Sulcus Infection
Dan’s special sauce for central sulcus infection works amazingly well. If you’d like you can make your own, or Dan carries this on the truck & we sell for $8 per jar.
Natural Fly Spray Recipe
After one of our skin sensitive horses came up with large welts with one of the well known chemical fly spray products, we experimented with several home made fly sprays. We have found this recipe to be very effective.
- 32 oz spray bottle
- 4 oz white vinegar
- 2 oz Avon Skin So Soft
- 20 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 20 drops of citronella oil
- A squirt of dawn or ivory dish liquid
- Fill rest of bottle with water (I fill up to 30 oz line)
- Shake well before each use